Outgoing public protector Thuli Madonsela is set to have a Q&A showdown with President Jacob Zuma today as part of an inquiry into allegations surrounding the Gupta family’s appointment of state ministers. While we can’t be a fly on the wall to hear how Zuma will respond to Madonsela’s questions on the Guptas influence over South Africa’s political sphere, we can try to guess at the questions she might ask.
We understand you are a busy man, Mr President. Are you aware of any state capture?
2. Mr President, have you been captured? And if so, how do we release you?
3. I can imagine things must be awkward with Vytjie Mentor. Do you remember her now?
4. What were you doing at the Gupta home in Saxonwold while Ms Mentor was being offered a ministerial job by the family in the next room?
5. Mcebisi Jonas said that he too was offered a job by members of the Gupta family. But, Mr President, why have you outsourced your duties?
6. How do you and the Guptas decide who will be in Cabinet? Do you all have a particular spot where you eat and gossip?
7. What are the Guptas providing for the state in return for the service of appointing ministers? Besides, dodgy coal that is.
8. On the topic of coal, why did the Guptas get the Eskom tender again?
9. Do you know of any other tenders that have been awarded to Gupta-owned business?
10. What remedial action do you plan to take to restore the nation’s confidence?