WHILE the focus of this year’s local government elections has been on some of the country’s biggest metros, there are a number of so-called “strategic” districts and municipalities in which political parties are pushing for a win.
By 3pm on Thursday, 70% of the national vote had been counted and verified by the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC).
Here is a list of the strategic municipalities and districts and how parties are fairing.
• Midvaal local municipality, Gauteng. Counting and verification of votes in the area was completed, and the DA retained its hold of the municipality under mayor Bongani Baloyi, with 59.7% of the vote. Second was the ANC with 32.08%, followed by the EFF with 4.8%.
• Emfuleni local municipality, Gauteng. The DA was leading with 42.57% of the vote, but only 40% of the votes had been counted and verified in the municipality. The ANC had 40.12%. The ANC won the municipality in 2011 with 69.79% of the vote.
• Rustenburg local municipality, North West. The ANC, with 43.34%, was leading in Rustenburg while the EFF and DA were neck-and-neck for second place, with 22.99% and 24.55% respectively. The EFF campaigned hard in the area, which includes Marikana, in the run-up to the polls. The ANC won the municipality in 2011 with 71.88%
• Tlokwe local municipality, North West. The ANC was leading in the municipality with 59.15%, with 51% of the votes having been counted and verified. The DA was trailing with 24.33% and the EFF 7.69%.
• Mbombela local municipality, Mpumalanga. With 58% of the vote already counted and verified, the ANC was in the lead at 75.09%, followed by the DA with 15.71% and the EFF 6.11%.
• Emalahleni local municipality, Mpumalanga. A total of 87% of the votes had been counted and verified. The ANC looked set to retain its hold on the municipality with 56.62%. The DA followed with 28.15% and the EFF 12.09%.
• Polokwane local municipality, Limpopo. The ANC was leading in Polokwane with 64.08% of the vote after 52% of the votes had been counted and verified. The EFF could become the official opposition in the municipality, with 27.67% of the vote thus far, while the DA trailed with 4.62%.
• Mangaung metropolitan municipality, Free State. A total of 86% of the votes had been counted and verified in the metro, with the ANC leading on 57.26%. This was followed by the DA with 24.8% and the EFF with 8.99%.