ANC Women’s League secretary general Meokgo Matuba says the league is “disappointed” in the party’s national spokesperson, Pule Mabe, who has been accused of sexual harassment.
Matuba made this statement on Radio 702 on Monday.
In a 14-page letter to the party’s deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte, Mabe’s 26-year-old personal assistant detailed how he offered her a job in exchange for sex. EWN reports that the assistant asked Duarte to intervene.
On Monday, priority crime investigation unit the Hawks told EWN on Monday that they “want to get ready in case the case lands on our door”.
The league has called for Mabe’s immediate suspension.
“We think that the African National Congress in the meantime, must appoint someone.
Let him be relieved of his duties and begin to deal with this matter in a proper organisational way,” Matuba said.
— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) December 10, 2018
In a statement released on Monday afternoon, the ANC confirmed a complaint was lodged at its headquarters last week and the party has established grievance panel.
The ANC said it would not comment on the matter until the outcome of its internal proceedings.
ANC INTERNAL GRIEVANCE MATTER
— #MaSisulu100 (@MYANC) December 10, 2018
The women’s league, however, believes women “deserve better”.
“We feel that women deserve better. Their rights are also human rights and therefore we must be treated with respect. We expect the ANC to act very fast on this matter,” said Matuba.
“We expect leaders of the African National Congress to lead by example and discipline whoever violates women’s rights within our organisation.”