The High Court in Pretoria will hear the application for leave to appeal a court ruling that corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma be reinstated on June 10.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) confirmed that it and Zuma’s application for leave to appeal would be heard next month.
Democratic Alliance leader Mmusi Maimane announced the date during a campaign stop in Mzinti, Mpumalanga.
“We welcome this news because it means that, after years of desperate stalling tactics by the president, the wheels of justice are finally turning. The ‘day in court’ that he has always said he wanted, but then fought so hard to avoid, is fast approaching,” he said.
The NPA and Zuma announced on Monday that they were applying for leave to appeal the High Court’s ruling.
If leave to appeal is granted, the matter will go to the Supreme Court of Appeal.
On April 29, the full bench of the High Court in Pretoria found President Jacob Zuma should face the 783 charges of corruption.
After a seven-year battle by the DA, the court ruled that the decision to discontinue the prosecution against Zuma should be reviewed and set aside.
For a full timeline on the ‘spy tapes’ saga and how it has been haunting Zuma since as early as 2001, read here.
On April 6 2009, then-NPA head Mokotedi Mpshe said transcripts of telephone conversations between then-Scorpions boss Leonard McCarthy and former NPA boss Bulelani Ngcuka showed political interference in the decision to charge Zuma.
The charges were withdrawn in the High Court in Durban on April 7, 2009.
Last month, the court found that Zuma should indeed face corruption charges after Deputy Judge President Aubrey Ledwaba said Mpshe had come under pressure and had, therefore, decided to discontinue the prosecution against Zuma.