The African National Congress said it was shocked after a ward councillor candidate was shot and killed in Nelson Mandela Bay on Tuesday.
The Ward 4 candidate, Nceba Dywili, was killed in Zwide on Tuesday night, hours after he had participated in door-to-door campaigns in his constituency.
ANC treasurer general Zweli Mkhize said on Wednesday that they would be visiting the family to convey their condolences.
“We are shocked at his death.”
He said they had already lost several candidates in the build-up to the elections.
Their names would still be featured on the ballot papers, however, as the IEC processes had been closed. The ANC in the region would be issuing a more detailed statement later in the day, he said.
Police spokesperson Constable Mncedi Mbombo said the incident happened at about 9pm on Tuesday and that no arrests have been made yet.
Dywili was shot several times in the upper body, while a volunteer he was dropping off was shot in the buttocks.
“Police are investigating a case of murder,” Mbombo said.
Tributes started pouring in on Wednesday morning for Dywili, who had been on the campaign trail with Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu a few hours before his death.
ANC councillor Marion Harning labelled his death a “waste.