A motion of no confidence against President Jacob Zuma has been tabled at a meeting of the ANC’s national executive committee.
When the meeting began on Saturday in Pretoria, a motion of no confidence had not been tabled. Now, however, News24 says that sources have revealed that Zuma is once again fighting to remain in power.
At least four sources have confirmed to the media house that the motion had been tabled amid “worsened” circumstances against Zuma.
“He mentioned all the things we read about in the news: The Cabinet reshuffle, the downgrade [to junk status], the reports on state capture… the litany of problems all linked to him [Zuma],” a source said to News24.
It was reportedly ANC NEC member Joel Netshitenzhe who tabled the motion.
The minister of health, Aaron Motsoaledi, and his deputy Joe Phaahla are said to have backed Netshitenzhe.
This is the second time that Zuma has faced a motion of no confidence at an NEC sitting in six months. In November 2016, Derek Hanekom, the then tourism minister, tabled a motion, but Zuma survived. Hanekom was promptly dismissed from his post in the now infamous midnight Cabinet reshuffle that saw Pravin Gordhan being ousted from the finance ministry. Hanekom remains, however, an ANC MP.
This latest call for a vote against Zuma comes at a time when the ANC’s alliance partners, Cosatu and the SACP, have barred Zuma from speaking at their events.
The Sunday Times on Saturday revealed that emails show members of the Gupta were prominent in a plot to acquire a residence for Zuma and his family in Dubai.
It is not yet clear at what time this weekend the NEC will vote for Zuma to remain or step down.