First Aid Training – Overview
When viewing First Aid training holistically, it is crucial for employers to ensure that they have enough employees who have been trained in it, as this has become a requirement in most working environments, concerning compliance with Health and Safety regulations.
There is no definitive guarantee that incidents will not occur in the workplace, even if the necessary Health and Safety measures are put in place to minimise the chance or likelihood of them happening.
Often these measures are put in place to minimize the actual impact if an incident or injury occurs. Should injuries occur in the workplace, having a first responder to tend to the situation is imperative.
There are numerous reasons why First Aid training is necessary, some of which includes, but is not limited to:
- It creates progressive safety.
- It could help to save a life.
- It enables primary pain-relieving care.
- It helps to increase security and peace of mind.
- It minimizes the chances of infection should an injury occur.
- It helps to decrease the fear of an incident or accident occurring, and more.
SafetyWallet and providing First Aid Level 1 E-Learning Training
One of the four components in which SafetyWallet provides support includes that of Health and Safety Training in partnership with MAKROSAFE, which is aligned with the unit standards and curriculum online by the South African Qualifications Authority.
All training provided by SafetyWallet is also accredited and endorsed with:
- The Department of Employment and Labour;
- The Quality Council for Trades and Occupations;
- The Health and Welfare Sector Education and Training Authority; and
- The South African Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.
The training provided by SafetyWallet through a dedicated Support Manager includes the following:
- An analysis of all training requirements;
- A dedicated Skills Development Facilitator;
- Annual Workplace Skills Plant;
- Skills Development Levy Reimbursements;
- B-BBEE Learnership Assistance;
- Tax Incentives pertaining to qualifications, bursaries, and learnerships;
- Covid-19 support, assistance and guidelines;
- Weekly updates on legislation;
- A monthly newsletter; and
- Legislative requirements.
In addition, SafetyWallet provides the perfect platform that caters for the following training solutions:
- E-Learning, in the form of over 41 training courses that can be accessed free of charge once an employer becomes a member.
- Accredited E-Learning, which includes E-Learning and a formal assessment on all E-Learning Accredited Training Learnerships, and
- Formal Training.
As part of this provision, SafetyWallet offers its members a First Aid Level 1 training in the form of an E-Learning course.
The purpose behind this course is to provide a blended approach to teach those learning about the principles surrounding basic first aid, which is considered the minimum required qualification for all workplaces in South Africa as according to the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
The course includes a formative assessment, which consists of various activities that need to be completed online after each module of the course has been completed and a summative assessment conducted by a MAKROSAFE assessor.
The summative assessment consists of both a written test and a practical exercise to test the knowledge of the learner after the course has been completed, which ensures that the learner not only understands the principles but is able to apply them.
This graphic was supplied by: Forex Suggest
The First Aid Level 1 course not only equips learners with the basic principles that will allow them to assess emergency situations, but also in contacting emergency services as quickly as possible while awaiting the arrival of these services.
The course allows learners who have qualified and obtained certification to perform the basic skills that are required to sustain life while waiting for emergency services.
The typical duration of the course is between six and eight hours long and consists of 14 videos, with the additional option of audio files, which thoroughly explain the principles and provide all the information that will prepare the learner to apply First Aid.
In completing this particular E-Learning course, learners will effectively be able to:
- Adequately understand the laws involved with First Aid, which include the principles surrounding emergency care;
- Demonstrate efficiently the understanding of management pertaining to emergency scenes;
- Treat wounds and arrest bleeding efficiently and adequately;
- Identify the correct First Aid required for a wide variety of injuries;
- Utilise the relevant and correct equipment, along with safety precautions, when first aid is administrated;
- Have the ability to identify, evaluate and understand potential hazards in the work environment;
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); and
- Respond to cyanide poisoning should it occur, especially where gold mining operations are concerned.
When becoming a member of SafetyWallet, regardless of the membership circle that the employer joins, First Aid Level 1 E-Learning training is included in the package.
Although the E-Learning course is included and free of charge, members need to take note of the following conditions:
- The practical assessment can only be done once the learner has passed the course theory.
- Where the practical assessment is concerned, it is done in a one-on-one session with a MAKROSAFE assessor for a fee of R200, with the benefit that membership rewards will also be considered to provide members with a discount.
First Aid Level 1 has become an industry standard and it is the basic requirement in working environments that employers need to have in place, and this can easily be done and obtained through the E-Learning training provided by SafetyWallet.
This is an additional service and provision in addition to the comprehensive and extensive services already offered by SafetyWallet, with significantly more employers becoming members, adding to a growing client base.
Not only does SafetyWallet make it easy for employers to become members and to commit to the establishing and continuous improvement of Health and Safety compliance, but there are generous rewards involved in becoming a member and as compliance increases.
It is a tedious task for employers to have all hands on deck at all times with changing situations and conditions beyond the control of all involved, but SafetyWallet adequately caters for this through its comprehensive offering.
Visit SafetyWallet’s website now: https://www.safetywallet.co.za/