The Mail & Guardian is expanding its editorial team to include an additional investigative journalist.
The M&G is a quality, investigative, political and comment news publication, based on a culture of editorial independence and excellence.
Through our journalism, we strive to promote freedom, justice and equality. We stand in solidarity with the powerless and vulnerable and we continue to strive for a more just and more compassionate South Africa.
- Pitch, research and write investigative stories, balancing hard facts, incontrovertible evidence, solid multi-sourcing and compelling storytelling that presents the issue in a clear, simple to follow manner.
Key Performance Indicators
- Produce at least one strong piece for the Mail & Guardian print edition once a week, as well as content for our online platforms
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain strong networks and contacts
- Keep up to date with developments and actively pursue news breaks
- Write at least one lead potential piece once a month
- Deliver a compelling diary of stories once a week
- Contribute to special editorial projects and editions as needed
- Contribute to multimedia and social media projects as needed
- Represent the M&G at various events and on media platforms
Required skills and experience
- Knowledge of media law and ethics
- First-class English language skills
- A firm grasp of current affairs on a national and international level
- A thorough understanding of the Mail & Guardian news brand
- Strong organisational skills
- A strong network of contacts
Characteristics and competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional planning and implementation skills
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical ability
- A Bachelor’s degree, not necessarily in journalism- a post graduate degree is preferred, but not essential.
- At least five years of journalism experience
- Experience in a senior or team-leading role will be an advantage
- Knowledge of political, business and social justice issues – proof of reporting on such issues will be required
- Excellent English writing ability with a demonstrated ability to craft engaging stories
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for the above position and meet the eligibility, please submit a covering letter and CV via the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/MToqIo8MauF5bI5x1